Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Corpus Christi State School Fight Club

How far have we come in improving quality of life for people with disabilities when situations like what happened at the Corpus Christi State School are still happening in 2009? As I was looking for resources for this report, I stumbled upon a couple of items that only further shocked me. One was from KIII News last night. In the report, a former employee discusses that abuses in the news now have been going on for a long time and she was told not to report it by her supervisor. That really isn't that surprising, but what is surprising to me are the comments about the story on the KIII News website. To view the video and read the comments, click here.

Then I found an editorial denouncing the abuse, but the more I read I was surprised to read that while they did denounce the abuse, it was not only because of the inhumanity of it but also because it made state run facilities look bad. Click here to read the editorial

Again, I ask how far have we really come in 2009? I do believe that 99% of direct support professionals are committed to providing quality care for the individuals they care for, but if there is even 1% that can participate in what happened in Corpus Christie, then we still have work to do.

Here is a basic overview video of the story if you haven't heard anything about it yet:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It seems that those running the Texas system feel that finger printing, security cameras and additional oversight will make lives better. This is just about as sad a situation that could be imagined. Sad for those who are supported and sad for the leadership who seems to not have a clue.